The rain is pouring here in Cheltenham so I thought its time to iron out a few glitches on the manuscript that have been preying on my mind in the middle of the night. Having taken out a large reminiscing scene at the beginning of the story I’m worried that the characters mentioned in it (my protagonists siblings) have been forgotten about then they will suddenly spring up a few chapters later…the reader at this point having no idea as to who these people are!
I came up with a plan to see at a glance when names of characters 1st appear chapter by chapter. I drew out a grid with 50 (yes I have 50 chapters!) squares on it, well oblongs actually and plotted each character. Then I thought what the hell I might aswell put dates on each chapter and locations, just to make sure everything flowed as it should.
It’s a great way to unearth any mistakes. I discovered I had no chapter numbered 33 and someone called Edith had transformed into a Hilda….good job I checked!
At the end of my plan I’ve come up with a list of unanswered questions ie: When did I start referring to Mr Clements as David….may sound trivial but its hugely important to the book.
The best thing is, I now have a visual map of my chapters and will sleep sound tonight zzzzzzz